These days, most everyone has at least one computer. Unlike your toaster or your TV, computers require quite a bit of labor to protect and maintain. Here is a list of things every computer owner should be doing:
- Keep it Safe!
- Purchase one of our recommended security packages and keep it renewed and updated.
- Keep Windows up-to-date with all of the latest security updates.
- Keep security sensitive programs like Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, Java, and more up to date.
- Back it up regularly. We recommend a cloud backup service like Carbonite.
- Be careful when reading email or surfing the web.
- Keep it cool and clean
- Your computer needs good ventilation. It’s better to have it on a table or desk rather than on the floor. Don’t use laptops on soft surfaces (vents on the bottom will be blocked).
- Keep all air vents clean of dust and hair.
- For desktops, periodically, take the side off and blow out dust with can of air. Don’t touch anything inside the computer.
- Keep it fast
- Clear your browser’s cache.
- Uninstall programs you don’t need or want.
- Disable any startup programs you don’t need.
- If you don’t have an SSD, defrag regularly.
What does it cost to own, protect, and properly maintain a computer?
Time and money.
Security software has to be purchased and renewed. Sure, you can use free security software, but it doesn’t protect as well and it constantly nags you, tries to sell you things, and tries to trick you into paying. Most security software is $60/year.
Occasionally, you might have to pay Cyber Tek Computer Pros to resolve a problem or fix your computer. The average cost to resolve a computer problem is around $120.
Other than that, computers generally aren’t money pits.
Where computers will get you is in terms of time. To properly maintain a computer and keep it running at top speed takes about an hour of time per week if you know what you are doing. If not, it will take much longer. On top of that, most people don’t know how to properly maintain a computer, keep it safe, and keep it running at top speed.
If your time is important, or you just don’t want to fool with maintaining your computer, or you really don’t know how, we can do that for you. You might think it’s expensive, but it’s not. In the above example, the cost of security software was $60/year and the average repair bill is $120. That adds up to an average expense of $180/year. For just $60 more a year, we can maintain and keep your computer safe. We’ll keep it running at top speed and we’ll be there for any computer related questions you may have.
Make it easy on yourself. Sign up for our Security And Maintenance (SAM) plan and then you won’t have to worry about ANY of this. We’ll take care of everything! All you need to do is enjoy using your computer. For more information on our SAM plan, click here. Or of you want to sign up, reply to this email or give us a call.